Friday, January 20, 2012

English as a second language

One of my goals while here is definitely to learn Hindi. What I didn't expect, however, was to have to learn English.
There are some interesting differences from how we speak English in the U.S. to how it is spoken here. A few of my favorite English to English translations:

Indian English : American English
ear bud = q-tip
lamp bulb = light bulb
ground floor = 1st floor, so 1st floor = 2nd floor, 2nd floor = 3rd floor, etc.
"I've just reached"/"Have you reached?" = "I'm here"/"Are you there?"
"just like that only" =  a phrase that doesn't really add any explanation but is added to the end of a lot of sentences as a sort of closing
"I belong to..." = "I am from...."
kitchen roll = roll of paper towels
specs = glasses
"What's your scene?" = "What are you doing?"






1 comment: