Sunday, March 11, 2012

Andaman Islands

I didn't end up going skiing this weekend after all, but I did finally get my pictures together from my trip to the Andaman Islands a couple of weeks ago. The islands are part of India, way off the southeast coast, in the Bay of Bengal.


The only flights to the Andamans are in and out of Port Blair, but we immediately took a ferry over to Havelock Island.

The beaches on Havelock are pretty amazing...jungle goes right up to the sand. Sand is so white and clean. Water so clear. No seaweed. No trash. Not even very many people. Sigh...





There are about six elephants that live on Havelock Island. Apparently they are left to roam around the island, but the tourist companies go get them whenever they need them for elephant rides, etc. If you shell out $200, you can go snorkeling with one! It would be pretty amazing to see an elephant swim, but that was a little outside my budget and I think there might be some animal exploitation issues that I'm not too comfortable with as well. 

Swinging on a vine.

Next we went to Little Andaman, another island which is even less touristed.

Traditional boats being built on the beach.

We bought coconuts from these women. Sooo good. 


Back in Port Blair, before flying out, I visited this old jail, which housed a lot of the political prisoners who were active in the movement for India's independence from Britain.

Sunset from one of the ferries.





No comments:

Post a Comment