Saturday, March 31, 2012

Quitab Minar and Jama Masjid

It's taken me nearly six months in Delhi to see some sights that I'm pretty sure most tourists who are here  even two days manage to get to, but better late than never. A couple of weeks ago, I went to Quitab Minar - a very large minaret and surrounding Islamic architecture from the about the 1300s. And just last weekend, I finally went to Old Delhi. It's the most hectic and crowded part of the city, so I think it was actually good I waited a while to go; it would have been overwhelming when I first arrived. One of the most famous sites in Old Delhi is Jama Masjid - the largest mosque in India.

Quitab Minar surrounding area

The minaret. It's so tall, this picture doesn't do it justice. 

The colors of the stone and the designs carved into these arches are so beautiful. 

Me in front of the Jama Masjid. Nice outfit, huh? If you're showing much more than your wrists and ankles, they give you this mumu thing to put on. And of course, you can't wear your shoes. 

Jama Masjid

Old Delhi



No comments:

Post a Comment