Monday, October 10, 2011

This is really happening.

Well my first 24 hours in Delhi have been a shock. People say that India assaults all your senses and it's definitely true. I think part of it too, though, is that it finally hit me that I live here. After a month of traveling it kind of felt like this was just another trip until I actually got in the apartment. I'm living with Sue, my friend and old coworker from Seattle, who moved here a year ago. I am so so lucky that she is here. I would be completely overwhelmed without her. People in Delhi do speak English, but the rickshaw drivers generally speak very little and furthermore, an address alone isn't usually sufficient to communicate where we live, so I need to learn enough Hindi words and be familiar with the nearby streets before I can venture out without her. So that's a little frustrating. I also found out that us "carpooling" to work means sharing an auto rickshaw and those things scare me a bit cause they're kind of flimsy and the traffic is nuts. Our one outing yesterday was to a nearby market to buy some linens and other stuff I need for my room. I was ready to get started with work today, but then spent the entire night vomiting every last drop of the contents of my stomach, so now I'm missing my first day, which really bums me out. I promise this post is not intended to get pity; I expected challenges at the start, but this is going to be hard for awhile. I'm glad to see Sue feel so comfortable and happy here--that gives me confidence that in time I will, too. I miss you guys.

2 comments:

  1. Aww Krycia, so sad to hear you got sick! Just think, you're getting your stomach tough so you can eat so many wonderful Indian dishes...you'll eat me under the table for spiciness when I visit. Let Sue take care of you and help you as you adjust, and I bet it will get better soon. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ug! I get the stomach bug every time i go to Cairo...feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete